6 May 2012

Blogging for a theory of language origins

I started Language Continuity in May 2008, that is four years ago. As you know, this blog is about linguistics, and my posts have covered a variety of areas: historical linguistics, Indo-European studies, theoretical linguistics, language origins,... Now, what are the most popular posts so far? Before I answer this question with some statistics, I'd like to offer my own view, because I do have my own favourites. The posts that I really enjoy writing are the ones about Origins of Language. And my favourite one is this: The birth of grammar. Maybe one day I'll use these posts to write a book about my views on language origins. I don't know when, but I think I will. But before writing, there's a lot of reading for me to do. For example, this recently published handbook.

What about my readers' actual preferences? According to Blogger stats, these are the top-three posts of all time, in order of popularity:

The Franco-Iberian refuge
Colin Renfrew. The Anatolian hypothesis
Celtic from the West

Another interesting question: where do my readers come from? In this case, there's a clear winner: the USA. A high percentage of the visits I get are from that country. Let's see the top-five (below you can see a map depicting the global audience for my blog, from Blogger Stats): 1. USA; 2. Spain; 3. Netherlands; 4. United Kingdom; 5. Australia.

No comments: